Thursday, February 3, 2011

Yesterday's morning show talked about how facebook is making people depressed because they see the happy posts of others and feel that their life is "less than". It made me consider if I should continue to post my "happy thoughts". I decided I will, because, for me, it is a spiritual practice. A spiritual practice that I would encourage in others.

The fact that I don't "post" the negatives doesn't mean there are no negatives, it simply means that is not where I choose to focus my attention. As I focus my attention on the positives, I have come to realize that many of the "positives" are simply the flip side of the negatives.

My dogs can aggravate me with their little doggie habits and personalities, but they keep my life interesting and fun and I can't imagine life without them. I adore my house, but sometimes I wish I had a maid to keep it up. Then I think honestly about that and realize I don't want anyone messing with my stuff!

I miss my two daughters immensely and hate that they live so many hours away, but I am proud and grateful that they are brave and independent enough to follow their dreams and live where they choose. I am grateful for cell phones, facebook and Skype that keep me connected with them even though I don't get to be with them nearly enough.

And perhaps the most irritating to me at the present time, I hate that a man I dislike earns as much off of me as I earn each year. He is a self serving leach and I hate that I am supporting him. But I love the freedom and the people in my life that are associated with that. More importantly, I have a sense that there is a purpose for me to be there. Partly it has to do with my clients, but mostly it has to do with another purpose for being there that has yet to unfold. I could be wrong about that part, but my life has taught me that when things are supposed to unfold, they do.

And I have learned to trust that. If I follow my heart, she never steers me wrong. It's when I ignore her that I drag things out and make life more difficult for myself.

But bottom line, I am grateful almost every minute of every day for my life. The good, the bad and the ugly. Yeah, sometimes I forget, I get depressed, I feel blech, just like everyone else, but mostly, at age 56, I feel a powerful sense of peace, joy and gratitude. The more I feel that feeling and express it, the more it grows.

I think I'll continue to post happy thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment